HELPFUL TIPS FOR TERRAZZO MAINTENANCE: Your Terrazzo floor has a minimum of 70% marble chip density on the surface. It has been ground and polished and sealed with a penetrating solvent-based Terrazzo sealer. This protects your surface from stains, but it is imperative that you never ignore any spillage that occurs on your terrazzo or allow such spillage to soak into and dry onto the floor. Good housekeeping procedures require that your floor remain clean. With proper maintenance procedures, your Terrazzo floor should give you ease of maintenance and a lifetime of performance not to mention the aesthetics. Before beginning a maintenance program or purchasing materials, it is best to understand this flooring system by reading available details of care from your Terrazzo Contractor or the NTMA.
1. DO ask your installing Terrazzo Contractor to recommend the proper neutral cleaner and sealers to be used on your floor.
2. DO dust mop your floors daily. This not only picks up the dust, but also the grit tracked into your building. The grit acts as an abrasive on your hard surface floor.
3. DO scrub your floors a minimum of twice a week where a new Terrazzo floor has been installed for the initial two to three months following installation as the construction dust is still in the air and will eventually be deposited on your floor. After this period, once per week, depending upon the amount of foot traffic, should keep your floor clean in appearance. Always rinse you floors well to prevent a build-up of cleaner residue that could become slippery.
4. DO seal your floors with a water-based, acrylic sealer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Normally, a new floor requires two or more coats which should provide a good sheen for a period of 45 to 60 days. After this time the floor will need additional sealer coats. The sealer should be classified by Underwriters Laboratories that is it slip resistant with a minimum rating of 0.5 or higher.
5. DO use maintenance products designed for Terrazzo.
6. DO allow your neutral cleaner, once applied to the Terrazzo surface, time to react as designed to loosen foreign matter. Several minutes should be adequate, but DO NOT allow the solution to dry on the surface.
1. DON’T use purely surface waxes or “good for everything sealers.” Using such products can result in a slippery surface.
2. DON’T use all purpose cleaners or soaps containing water soluble inorganic or crystallizing salts, harmful alkali or acids. Using such products could prove harmful to your Terrazzo floor.
3. DON’T use cheap cleaners or sealers as the majority of your maintenance cost is labor.
4. DON’T try miracle cleaners or sealers on your floor without getting an opinion regarding such products from your local Terrazzo Contractor or the NTMA.
NOTE: IN THE EVENT THAT YOUR FLOORS BECOME BADLY SOILED, CONSULT WITH SOMEONE FROM THE TERRAZZO INDUSTRY BEFORE PROCEEDING OR ATTEMPTING TO CLEAN!
ALWAYS KEEP RINSE WATER, MOPS AND PAILS CLEAN!